These job positions are not paid positions—they are volunteer positions.
What is the Ubuntu Manual Project?
The Ubuntu Manual Project Team is responsible for the Getting Started with Ubuntu book. This a comprehensive beginner's guide for the Ubuntu operating system. It is written under an open source license and is free for you to download, read, modify, and share.
The manual is aimed at new users of Ubuntu to help them become familiar with everyday tasks such as surfing the web, listening to music, and scanning documents. With an emphasis on easy-to-follow instructions, it is suitable for all levels of experience.
We're currently trying to fill the following roles:
How to apply for these roles
Please provide responses to all the questions below and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Full name
- Contact email address
- Role you are applying for
- Sections, chapters you are interested (see below)
- Average amount of time you can spend on the manual per week
Each chapter author is responsible for:
- writing the content in a clear, easy-to-understand manner;
- working with the chapter editor to ensure consistency of voice and style;
- and tracking changes between previous and current Ubuntu releases to ensure that the current edition of the manual reflects those changes.
We're looking for authors to help write and update content for the following sections:
- The Ubuntu Desktop
- The dash / search bar / browsing files
- Working with Ubuntu
- Viewing and editing photos
- Reading and composing mail
- Browsing the web
- Burning CDs and DVDs
- Working with LibreOffice
- Instant messaging
- Learning More
Each chapter editor is responsible for:
- coordinating with the authors of that chapter to ensure consistency of voice and style as well as proper grammar, spelling, and formatting;
- checking the chapter for factual accuracy;
- maintaining the list of authors and others who helped with that chapter (so proper attributation may be given in the manual);
- and ensuring, to the extent possible, timely completion of content by the authors.
We're looking for editors to help copy edit and update content throughout the manual. Please let us know if you're interested in editing any particular chapter or sections.